Lake District Light in the Wild Photo Breaks
Stay in the heart of the Lake District, photographing the national park's beautiful and diverse scenery and learning how to catch those fleeting moments when light and landscape conspire to take your breath away
Any three consecutive days/two nights of your choice, subject to availability, from September 2021 to May 2022
3 days/2 nights, arriving 11am on Day 1 and departing around 6pm on Day 3, depending on time of year
Maximum four people
From £595 per person, based on a couple sharing a double or twin room.
*Minimum numbers required for this workshop to take place: 1 couple or 3 singles
*Ask for single rates if you are looking for an exclusive one-to-one experience
Hotel accommodation; two-course dinners; breakfasts; packed lunches; private transport in a comfortable and spacious Nissan X-Trail; tea, coffee, drinks and snacks 'on location'; use of tripods and Lee Filters if required; Lightroom post-processing session and in-depth photography tuition by William Gray.
Travel to and from hotel in the Lake District; travel and photographic insurance; lunch on day 1; dinner on day 3
Since this is a tailor-made workshop, it is suitable for complete beginners through to advanced photographers
Please click here to view my latest safety precautions
Suitable for beginners or enthusiasts, this small-group, three-day Light in the Wild Photo Break with William Gray is equally rewarding in spring, autumn or winter. Pine trees rooted to their reflections in sheltered tarns, dry-stone walls snaking over golden fells, mountain panoramas, tumbling streams... the Lake District is full of potential for creative photography. The challenge is how to distil the overwhelming scenery and ever-changing light into photographs with impact and originality.
• On this three-day workshop, based at a wonderfully-located hotel tucked into the Great Langdale Valley, I'll be able to give you the individual tuition and feedback you need in order to develop your landscape photography skills and take them to the next level – no matter what your level of experience.
• We'll delve into the art of composition, exploring how viewpoint, lens choice, careful framing and the use of leading lines can transform ordinary images into memorable ones.
• As well as the bigger picture (and there are plenty of those in the Lake District), we will look for details, textures and patterns in nature.
• How to capture light in all its forms will, of course, be central to our photographic forays – we'll get up early to catch the dawn and photograph until dusk – and you will also learn how to get creative with filters and long exposures.
Why this trip?
• The small group size of up to four allows me to concentrate on your individual needs – whether you want to master essentials like exposure, focussing and depth-of-field, or develop your eye for composition or a particular photographic discipline.
• If you're a beginner, there will be plenty of time to become confident with your camera's settings.
• I'll provide instant feedback on your images each day and there will also be time for evening sessions on post-processing using Lightroom.
• Timing these trips between late autumn and spring, we'll avoid the crowds and maximise the potential for dramatic light and weather conditions.
Our exact itinerary will vary depending on the season, weather and light conditions, but here's an idea of what to expect:
Day 1: After making your own way to our hotel, we will meet at 11am for a chat and briefing before exploring the photographic potential of the Langdale Valley right on our doorstep.
Day 2: Each day we'll aim to cover at least three or four locations to ensure a good mixture of landscapes (fell, lake and river) as well as both popular and less-visited spots. Highlights are likely to include Tarn Hows, Blea Tarn, the Wrynose Pass and Buttermere. After dinner, there will be a critique and Lightroom tutorial.
Day 3: Another early start will ensure we make the most of what will hopefully be some of the day's best light. The workshop ends at 5pm to allow guests time to start their journeys home – but you are welcome to linger and join me for another dusk shoot in the spectacular Lake District.
Book your Lake District Light in the Wild Photo Break before the end of December 2021 and receive 5% off.
Please see below for details of the hotel I like to use for my Lake District Light in the Wild Photo Breaks. Click on the links for more details of each property, and view the map below for directions.
You may also like...
I just wanted to let you know that I had an amazing time. You were very patient and informative and I feel much more confident about my camera and taking better pictures. The workshop was a birthday present from a dear friend and I will be giving her the most positive feedback and thanks, which is very much down to your expertise and warm teaching manner.
SALLY | ONE-TO-ONE WORKSHOP
Lake District Photography Portfolio
Click on the gallery below to browse a selection of my favourite Lake District photographs. You'll be able to view them at full-screen size and read details of the camera and lens used for each one – as well as information on exposure.
Connect with me on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter