Cornwall Light in the Wild Photo Breaks
Escape to the wild west of Cornwall for a two-night break, staying in a superb coastal hotel and enjoying photography workshops and walks with professional photographer Will Gray
Any three consecutive days/two nights of your choice, subject to availability, from September 2021 to May 2022
3 days/2 nights, arriving 11am on Day 1 and departing around 6pm on Day 3, depending on time of year
Maximum four people
From £585 per person, based on a couple sharing a double or twin room
Marazion Hotel (Far West): £585 per person, based on a couple sharing a double or twin room.
Mullion Cove Hotel (The Lizard): £685 per person, based on a couple sharing a double or twin room, or £745 per person based on single occupancy.
Wellington Hotel (Boscastle, North Coast): £585 per person, based on a couple sharing a double or twin room
*Minimum numbers required for this workshop to take place: 1 couple or 3 singles . Please ask for single rates if you are looking for an exclusive one-to-one experience
Hotel accommodation from a choice of tried-and-trusted favourites; two two-course dinners; two breakfasts; packed lunches/pasties; private transport in a comfortable and spacious Nissan X-Trail; tea, coffee, drinks and snacks 'on location'; use of tripods and Lee Filters if required; Lightroom post-processing session and in-depth photography tuition by William Gray. If you book the Mullion Cove Hotel option, you will also enjoy a sea-view room, three-course dinners and a cream tea
Travel to and from hotel in Cornwall; travel and photographic insurance; lunch on day 1; dinner on day 3; optional boat trip from Penzance, Falmouth or Newquay (available Sep-Oct and Apr-May only)
Since this is a tailor-made workshop, it is suitable for complete beginners through to advanced photographers
Please click here to view my latest safety precautions
Renowned for its wonderful, ever-changing light, Cornwall is a magnet to artists and photographers. I'll take you to little-known coves and iconic viewpoints, ensuring you're in the right place at the right time to capture stunning seascapes, amazing clifftop scenery and often-overlooked coastal details. During May, wildflowers carpet the cliff tops; autumn sees golden colours burnishing the ancient oak woods of Bodmin's river valleys, while winter promises feisty weather – perfect for moody seascapes.
I've designed my Light in the Wild Photo Breaks to be as flexible as possible. You not only choose the dates you’d like to go, but you can also choose where you want to go. Use the form below to let me know whether you’d like to be based in the Far West (Marazion), Lizard Peninsula (Mullion Cove) or North Coast (Boscastle). Don’t worry if you have no preference – leave the arrangements to me and I’ll suggest the best location and itinerary to suit the time of year and what you hope to gain from the workshop.
• Capture the essence of Cornwall: surf-strafed beaches, wild headlands and traditional fishing villages – but also explore lesser-known photographic highlights, such as tin-mine ruins, moorland rivers, lighthouses and dramatic rock formations.
• Master the art of composition and how to simplify scenes for impact as you tackle big Atlantic seascapes using a range of techniques, such as high-key photography and long exposures.
• You'll receive a bespoke itinerary, but potential photo locations include St Michael's Mount, Cape Cornwall, Land's End, Porth Nanven, Lizard Point, Kynance Cove, Trebarwith, Trevose Head, Kennall Vale and Bedruthan Steps.
Why this trip?
• We'll rise early to catch the dawn and photograph until dusk, reacting to the changeable light and weather to make the most of our time in Cornwall.
• The small group size of up to four allows me to concentrate on your individual needs – whether you want to master essentials like exposure, focussing and depth-of-field, or develop your eye for composition or a particular photographic discipline.
• If you're a beginner, there will be plenty of time to become confident with with your camera's settings. You'll be amazed how much you learn in just a few days!
• I'll provide instant feedback on your images each day and there will also be time for evening sessions on post-processing using Lightroom.
• Timing these trips between late autumn and spring, we'll avoid the tourist crowds and maximise the potential for dramatic light and weather conditions. It really is a stunning place to develop your landscape photography skills.
Our exact itinerary will be flexible, photographing from dawn to dusk and reacting to the ever-changing light that washes over Cornwall. When you reserve this Photo Break using the form below, you'll find sections asking what areas of photography you're keen to focus on, and whether there's a particular area of Cornwall you'd like to be based in. Using this information, I'll produce a bespoke itinerary for you, including hotel details.
For a small extra charge (to cover the tour fee only), I can easily include a 2-4hr boat trip in your break to photograph dolphins, seals, seabirds and occasionally minke whales in the seas off the Cornish coast. Available from September-October and April-May, boat trips operate from Falmouth, Newquay or Penzance. If this is of interest, please mention it below.
Book your Cornwall Light in the Wild Photo Break before the end of December 2021 and receive 5% off.
Please see below for details of three of the hotels I like to use for my Cornwall Light in the Wild Photo Breaks. Click on the links for more details of each property, and view the map below for directions.